It’s World Mental Health Day.
This day was created to raise awareness on mental health through education and to fight back against the social stigma that many mental health disorders have.
Mental Health Facts
According to the Canadian Mental Health Association, here are some general facts about mental health and how it affects Canadians.
- Mental illness indirectly affects all Canadians at some time through a family member, friend or colleague.
- In any given year, 1 in 5 people in Canada will personally experience a mental health problem or illness.
- Mental illness affects people of all ages, education, income levels, and cultures.
- Approximately 8% of adults will experience major depression at some time in their lives.
- About 1% of Canadians will experience bipolar disorder (or “manic depression”).
From our team at Pulse FM, we want to spread a message of positivity. Sometimes it’s productive to be reminded that mental health is just as important as physical health.
We hope that you take some time for your own well being today, and also take the time to reach out to people in your life who could use someone to talk to.
It is our hope that we can be part of the change we wish to see in the world, and that includes ending the stigma against mental health.